Babies Bork

Babies Bork

Saturday, December 14, 2013

First ER for a Fall

On Wednesday morning the daycare called me at work. Now usually when I see their number on my phone, my heart stops for a second. It is usually not a good thing. Illness calls are common. Or bumps and bruises. That day, I figured it was the Wednesday nurse calling to clarify Hailey's inhaler plan. We go back and forth depending how she is doing - most of the time the Albuterol is as needed, but sometimes I tell them to just do it (if we are battling or recovering from a virus). So anyway, my heart didn't stop for a second. That is, until I heard the screaming in the background. 

She took awhile to spit it out. "Hailey was in the ball pit. She stepped off and fell into the balls. At first we didn't know if she was hurt. I've checked her out and her teeth are fine and there was no head injury. She (can't hear over the screaming) her lip so we cleaned that up. Not sure if she needs stitches"

So at this point I am out of my chair. "Wait, do I need to come? I can hardly hear you."  She went on to say yes, that she bit through her lip.  "When my daughter was young she did this too and we opted not to stitch it, but she should be seen by a doctor."  At this point I was already to the elevator. I mouthed to someone on my team "I have to go" and was out. So glad I work right across the street!

So a trip to the ER (have I mentioned we met our out of pocket for the year?). As it turns out, she didn't bite through. She had a laceration on the inside and on the outside.  He gave us some antibiotics and put some Dermabond glue on it. We were in and out maybe within an hour. The phone call came at 9:30 and Eric and I were leaving the ER a few minutes before 11. 

Before glue:


After:


And even better, after we took her to lunch:



And because I am a Bork (and we are super lucky), this was me the next day when a plate fell and hit me in the face when I was getting it down from the top shelf. Before:


After ER visit and glue:


No comments:

Post a Comment