Babies Bork

Babies Bork

Friday, January 18, 2013

Glasses!

Last week I took Kaitlyn to the eye doctor for her lazy eye. For a while I have noticed that her eye crosses sometimes. Her old OT mentioned that a lot of doctors don't do anything about that so young. So I kind of dismissed it. Especially since I didn't think Kaitlyn would tolerate using a patch or anything.

The waiting room was packed with kids and parents. They brought us back 30-45 minutes late. We started by seeing a nurse of sorts. She asked questions and then examined Kaitlyn while she sat in my lap. It was amazing that she could look at her eyes in such a non-invasive way! When I go to the eye doctor, it is super invasive! She indicated that it wasn't a lazy eye - it was both eyes and they were crossing. I was relieved that she was able to see what I was seeing. She dilated her eyes and sent us back to the waiting room to wait. There were kids much worse on the waiting room. It reminded me that we are lucky.

At that point I took Kaitlyn to CVS to buy some diapers. Silly mom brought the iPad, books, snacks, but no diapers! Wile at CVS, I bought some gerber puffs as a treat. Kaitlyn ate the entire container while we waited!

Over an hour and a half later, they called us back again. One doctor came in to test her eyes to see how farsighted she was. Finally Dr. McCash came in. I liked him! He sang to distract Kaitlyn. She liked him too! He indicated that she was farsighted but it is borderline - whether it was severe enough to cause her eyes to cross. He indicated that children with neurological disorders (autism?) often have eye issues. He wants to try glasses (gulp) for 6-8 weeks. If that doesn't work, it might be surgical (double gulp).

We went this week to order glasses. We were lucky to be the only ones there. We opted for these basic, plastic, PINK glasses. Kaitlyn shocked us all by letting me put them on her head to try on. They have a strap that wraps around the back of her head. We praised her and she ran sound the shop looking in the mirror. Maybe she will wear them! They are supposed to come in this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment