Babies Bork

Babies Bork

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Gestational Diabetes

I found out yesterday that I have gestational diabetes. I went in for my 3 hour glucose tolerance test and failed. My fasting blood sugar was 99 (needed to be below 95) and then my 1 hour level failed as well. On the bright side, the doctor said I was still measuring well and that the baby had already shifted into a head-down position. The heartbeat was also good in the 140's.

I went to a class this morning that ended up being a one-on-one meeting with an educator and then a dietician. It was very informative and reassuring. I left with a meal plan that consists of 2000 calories a day spread out over 3 meals and 3 snacks. I also have to test my blood sugar 4 times a day (first thing in the morning fasting and then 2 hours after every meal). The overall goal is that while I am awake, I eat something every couple of hours. The meal plan is very specific - for example, at breakfast I can have 2 servings of starches, 1 meat and 2 fats. So maybe half a bagel with cream cheese and some eggs. I was pleased to learn that I could have some splurges if my blood sugar is under control. Of course, the serving sizes are very small.

Today was the first day to test my glucose and the first real day on the new "diet". The fasting reading was good but my reading 2 hours after breakfast was a little high. But I think that was because I didn't eat the right foods. I misread the book and ate the entire bagel, instead of half. Also, the meal plan I got today is more specific (and probably better). My breakfast today had milk but the new plan specifically excludes milk from breakfast (interesting). I rebounded with a normal reading after lunch.

Here's some background on GD:

What is gestational diabetes?
Gestational diabetes is when you have elevated blood glucose levels during pregnancy. The placenta produces hormones that block the action of the mother's insulin in her body (insulin resistance). Insulin resistance makes it hard for the mother's body to use insulin. She may need up to three times as much insulin. Gestational diabetes starts when your body is not able to make and use all the insulin it needs for pregnancy. Without enough insulin, glucose cannot leave the blood and be changed to energy. Glucose builds up in the blood to high levels. It usually shows up after 24 weeks and only occurs in about 4-7% of pregnancies.

How is it treated?
Hopefully, blood sugar levels can be controlled through diet and exercise. If that is not effective, insulin may be needed or other medicines.

Is it dangerous?
Yes, uncontrolled it is to both the mother and the baby. I won't get into the scary facts since most cases can be controlled. There is every reason to think that if I do what I'm supposed to, I can control it.

What does it mean for the birth?
Often, the baby comes early due to the baby being larger. Regardless, there will be more monitoring of both mother and baby through the labor and delivery. I am now considered a "high risk pregnancy."

What does it mean for the future?
There is now a 40-50% chance that I will develop Type 2 diabetes in the future (most likely within the next 5 years). I'm also more likely to develop this again in future pregnancies.

1 comment: