Babies Bork

Babies Bork

Friday, October 9, 2009

Week 35 (31 days to go!)

I had my doctor appointment today. Mixed results.

Good news:
The baby's heartbeat sounded good. I was dilated a "fingertip" and about 50% effaced. She is still head down. The doctor thinks she has already dropped some since I am now measuring smaller than I did last time. Eric also noticed a change in my belly. (I haven't!)

Not great news:
My blood pressure was elevated and they were somewhat concerned about the swelling in my feet and ankles. These are some of the symptoms of preeclampsia, which is something we will be on the look-out for. Luckily, there was no protein in my urine and I haven't had any of the other symptoms. I also had a larger than expected weight gain that is likely attributable to all the fluids.

All in all, not terrible news. But the doc will definitely be keeping an eye on me. My next visit is Wednesday and she said that I may end up coming more often than once a week.

I then proceeded to return to work and noticed that I had some bleeding, hours after her exam. Needless to say, I was worried and called the doc. She said all should be OK but to keep an eye on things and to go rest. So I left work early and have spent the rest of the day in the recliner. What a day (I have also been up since 3am - unable to go back to sleep due to the pain in my hands)!

For those of you unfamiliar with preeclampsia, it also known as pregnancy-induced hypertension or toxemia. Like most things, if left unmanaged it can cause other complications. If I am ultimately diagnosed with preeclampsia, the treatment will probably include bed rest. There is no cure except for delivery of the baby, which would likely be recommended as soon as the baby is physically mature enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment