Babies Bork

Babies Bork

Monday, January 4, 2010

More Firsts

We are all about the firsts around the Aitken household this week.

First Spend-the-Night

On New Year's Eve, Kaitlyn had her first spend-the-night at Grandma and Grandpa Bork's house. It was an unexpected surprise for Eric and I. We were expecting to pick her up just after midnight, so were shocked when they offered to keep her for the whole night. I was thrilled and must admit, the thought occurred to me to skip out on the festivities and go to bed! But we definitely managed to have a good time. We were still pretty exhausted in the morning because we were up so late, but imagine how tired we would have been had we been getting up with her?!?! And I got my first long stretch of sleep in a long time. I slept around 5 1/2 hours between pumpings!

First Trip Running Errands

On Saturday, I took Kaitlyn out to run errands for the first time. I took her out mid-day and went to the Container Store. I hadn't eaten lunch, so went to the Taco Bell drive-thru (no, this was not our first trip through the drive-thru). I was not too happy to see a 5-6 car wait in line, but knew that it would be too much trouble to get her out of the car to go inside. So I waited, which ended up being a little bit of an issue. Apparently, that while Kaitlyn loves the car and falls asleep almost instantly, she does not like sitting in an idling car. So she woke up in the middle and by the time I got my food, she was crying a little.

I was hopeful that by the time we got to the Container Store, she would be back asleep. But much to my dismay she was crying when I pulled into the parking lot. I decided to try to drive around the block for a minute in hopes of her falling asleep. When it was clear this was not working, I decided to park and see if she had a dirty diaper. Nope, that wasn't it (and you should have seen me in the back seat maneuvering her out of the car seat and peaking in her diaper). The thought crossed my mind to turn around and go home, but I knew that would "set me back" in terms of confidence. So I decided to brave it and go inside. I kept her in the car seat and put it in the shopping cart. She took up most of the space in the cart, but I managed to get what I needed and we made it home. A success!

First Lunch with Mom (and no Dad)

Today, I went out to lunch with her for the first time without Eric. We met Eva for pancakes (yum!). Again, I expected her to sleep the entire time, but she woke up in the middle and was wide awake. For the most part, she just laid there and looked around. But at the end, I pulled out the pacifier when she started to get a little fussy. Another success and some much needed girl talk! Thanks Eva.

First Trip to My Office

We then went across the street for our first visit to my work. Everyone was excited to see her and she stayed wide awake to visit with everyone. I received many "she looks just like you" and "she's so small!" At the end, it was definitely time to go home. It was time for her to eat and she was patient for awhile, but she let out a single cry while sitting in Justin's office and I knew we had to head home so I could feed her. But all in all, a successful outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment